If you want to be effective at something, you need to consistently educate yourself. It’s just the same for freelance writers. Everyone talks about the seven habits one should follow if he or she wants to excel at what they are passionate about.
The most important habit is #7 – Sharpen the Saw. As a freelance writer, the saw will be your writing skills. You need to allocate sufficient time to sharpen your saw which means you need to set aside some time to improve your writing skills while acquiring other related skills such as social media marketing, SEO, content marketing and many more.
How can I acquire the knowledge to improve my freelance writing skill?
The best way to do this is by reading blogs that help you stay updated with the changing trends in freelance writing. There are hundreds of blogs out there providing thousands of tips, guides, advice, and tutorials. But with so many websites and blogs competing, we came up with top blogs for freelance writers that you should read in 2022.
Whether you’re a beginner or making a living with a freelance writing business, these blogs will enhance your freelance writing career.
So, let’s move on to the list.
One of the most popular websites that offer plenty of tips and guides for copywriters. The website is not limited to writing topics alone but also offers other topics such as social media marketing, search engine optimization, email marketing and many more.
The founder Brian Clark is an authority when it comes to blogging and copywriting. Copyblogger started as a one-man blog and evolved to Rainmaker Digital. If you’re serious about becoming a good freelance writer, make sure to bookmark this website.
Some of the popular articles of Copyblogger that you should read:
- What Is A Content Marketer?
- Copywriting 101: How to Craft Compelling Copy
- 65 Trigger Words and Phrases for Powerful Multimedia Content
- 10 Ways to Master Writing Damn Good Copy
Make A Living Writing
This website is a holy grail for freelance writers. The blog was started by an award-winning freelance writer, Carol Tice in 2008 after being depressed by low pay rates in the content market. The blog has more than 15,000 subscribed freelance writers today.
This blog was included in the Top 10 Blogs for writers in Write to Done’s annual contest. Moreover, it was also named one of Writer’s Digest’s 101 Best Websites for Writers in 2014 and 2015. If you’re looking to grow your writing income, make sure to subscribe to the Make a Living Writing email list.
Some of the popular articles of Make a Living Writing that you should read:
- Entry-Level Freelance Writing Jobs for Beginners: The Definitive Guide
- Writing an Article vs. Writing a Blog Post: What’s the Difference?
- How I Make $5,000 a month as a Paid Blogger
Although ProBlogger is not a typical blog for freelance writers, still it helps thousands of writers with exceptional tips and guides. We would be surprised if you’ve never heard of this blog. Founded by Darren Rowse who was passionate about blogging.
You can improve your skills in various areas by following this blog. It will help you make the right decisions in your writing career and make money through it. This blog is dedicated to everyone as the articles published are simple, resourceful and easily understandable. It will be worthwhile reading each article published on ProBlogger as it will somehow add value to your current skill set.
Some of the best articles of ProBlogger that you should read:
- 5 Ways to Make Your Blogging Life Easier
- How to Write Great Blog Content
- 13 Tips for Promoting Yourself Without Sounding Like a Jerk
Men with Pens
A full-service website company that focuses on providing web design and copywriting services. However, the website was founded by James Chartrand, one of the leading copywriter, entrepreneur, author, and consultant.
The blog is managed by both James and Harry and focuses majorly on copywriting and web design. The blog has been named as one of the 100 Best Websites for Writers in 2015 and 2016. The blog consists of more than 1000 articles that cover topics such as writing, freelancing, content marketing and etc.
Some of the popular articles of Men with Pens that you should read:
Buffer is a social media management tool that helps you schedule social media posts. Buffer Social is a blog that covers a variety of topics that stands out from the crowd.
As you’re working hard on your freelance writing business, the guides and resources published on this blog will further enhance and improve your freelance writing.
Some of the popular articles on Buffer that you should read:
- 189 Powerful Words that Converts [Free List of Magnet Words]
- 16 Top Tips from Blogging Experts for Beginners
- 39 Blogging Tools to Help You Write Faster & Better
- Top 51 Greatest Articles About Writing I’ve Ever Read
A must-read blog developed by Jeff Goins, who published four awesome books including the best seller, The Art of Work. The articles and guides on this blog will help you create a competitive advantage over other freelance writers and help you develop your own writing style.
Most of the articles focus on improving your writing skills. Moreover, Jeff shares his life and writing experience which will motivate you to become better at what you’re doing.
Some of the popular articles of Coins Writer that you should read:
- How to Be a Good Writer (If There Is Such a Thing)
- How to Overcome Writer’s Block: 14 Tricks That Work
- How to Tell Your Story without Boring Your Audience to Tears
- The Difference Between Good Writers & Bad Writers
The Write Life
If you’re looking for practical and actionable guides and tips, you need to check out The Write Life. The blog helps you set freelance writing goals and take the right steps in landing clients.
Whether you’re experienced or just starting off, their articles will help you make a living as a freelance writer.
Some of the popular articles of The Write Life that you should read:
- 34 of the Best Books on Writing
- The 100 Best Websites For Writers in 2021
- 11 Online Writing Courses, Including Freelance Writing Classes
Write to Done
Are you still not happy with your writing? This blog will help you write better. It focuses on providing practical tips for writers to become better at writing.
No matter what writing you want to excel at, Write to Done will take you through a journey with their guides and tips to get your writing skills to the next level.
Some of the popular articles of Write to Done that you should read:
- How to Start a News Article (5 Powerful Ways)
- Find Your Passion as a Writer: 6 Simple Steps
- 15 Killer Tips From Successful Bloggers You Can Use Immediately
You need the right habits to be successful in anything you’re passionate about. It’s the same when you want to be successful with your freelance writing career. The main reason to include Zen Habits on this list is to get you focused and motivated to create something amazing.
The blog was founded by Leo Babauta who emphasizes that everyone needs to focus on what is important in life which is happiness. Not only the blog features great content, but it also delivers great value for the readers.
Some of the top articles of Zen Habits that you should read:
- 20 Key Questions on Motivation and Habits, Answered
- 18 Practical Tips for Living The Golden Rule
- A Guide to Developing the Self-Discipline Habit
Seth Godin Blog
You should quit the online blogosphere if you never heard of Seth Godin. Seth Godin is a writer, entrepreneur, marketer, public speaker and the list goes on. He has authored more than 18 books that have been bestsellers around the world and have been translated into more than 35 languages.
On the other hand, Seth Godin was the founder of Squidoo and Yoyodyne. Seth Godin’s blog is one of the most famous blogs in the world. You can learn so many things from his blog. The tips published on the blog are simple, short and concise.
Some of the popular articles of Seth Godin that you should read:
Social Media Examiner
It is essential for freelance writers to have fundamental knowledge of digital marketing, especially social media marketing. Social Media Examiner is a must-read blog related to social media guides, tips, news, and tutorials.
The blog was founded by Michael Stelzner. One of the top blogs when it comes to social media. If you want to stay ahead in the freelance writing industry, you need to develop content that goes viral through social media sites. You can learn everything about social media from this blog.
Some of the popular articles of Social Media Examiner that you should read:
- 5 Steps to LinkedIn Group Success: How to Create and Manage a Successful Group
- How to Grow Your TikTok Account: 11 Tips
- How to Schedule Instagram Posts on a Desktop Without Third-Party Tools
- How to Use Facebook Business Manager: A Complete Guide
The core objective of Freelancewriting.com is to act as a medium for businesses looking to hire quality freelance writers and help freelance writers to land high-paying freelance writing jobs.
However, the website has published more than 600 articles that cover everything related to writing. As the articles are categorized appropriately, it would be easy for you to choose the right articles to read.
Some of the popular articles on Freelancewriting.com that you should read:
- How to Write Gripping Subheadings to Add More Value to Your Article
- How to Pitch A Story
- 10 Best Tips for a Successful Freelance Writing Career
- Time Management for Freelancers: 7 Proven Tips for Success
Most of you probably have an account at Upwork. If you don’t, better register for one now! UpWork offers a wide range of freelance gigs for freelancers, especially for freelance writers.
Upwork blog provides great content for freelance writers to understand the changing trend in the freelance writing industry. Make sure to check their blog section to stay updated with freelancing trends.
Some of the top articles of Upwork that you should read:
- 12 Tips to Improve Your Writing Skills
- How Much Can Freelancers Make in 2022?
- How To Set Your Freelance Rate: The Comprehensive Guide
- How to Become a Freelancer in 2022: The Complete Guide
The Freelance Creative by Contently
One of the best blogs on freelance writing by Contently which provides daily news, insight, and analysis on freelancing and the gig economy.
With a huge list of resources, trends, and stories, the website provides everything a freelancer needs. Diversify your skills as a freelancer to search for high-paying opportunities.
Some of the popular articles of Freelance Creative by Contently that you should read:
- How to Freelance While Working Full-Time—Without Getting in Big Trouble
- Can You Actually Make Money Self-Publishing on Medium?
- How to Negotiate Your Rate Like a Pro
A blog that covers everything from marketing to writing. The blog was founded by Kristi Hines, a freelance writer and professional blogger.
There are tons of useful guides for freelance writers like you. Learn how you can integrate marketing knowledge into freelance writing to develop a successful freelance writing business with Kikolani.
Some of the best articles of Kikolani that you should read:
- The Ultimate Guide to Blog Post Promotion for 2021
- 11 of the Most Popular and Profitable Niches for Bloggers
- The 11 Best Google Adsense Alternatives for Bloggers
- What is Cornerstone Content?
Now you need to figure out which blog you should follow. It depends on what you’re looking for. Whether you’re looking to improve your writing skills, looking to get motivated or want to acquire other related skills you’re sure to find the right blog from the list.
Do you read other blogs which are not included in this list? Please share them with us by commenting below.
*This article will be consistently updated.